Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Happy Birthday, Little Buddy!

I apologize for not updating more often. I tried to keep people in the loop as we were in the actual adoption process. Now that we are home, there isn't that much to report. We are just a busy little family.

As I write this, it is actually September 12 in Ethiopia which means our little boy is 2!!! I can't believe it. Time just flies. When we were on the wait list, the days drug on and on. Now that we are home, time just flies. There are many bittersweet milestones when you have children. I believe the milestones are that much more bittersweet when you have an adopted child. The emotions are so overwhelming. We can't imagine our lives without our little man. We are so thankful we said "yes" to the call to adopt. We are so blessed that God chose Kobe to be our son. Then there are the thoughts/feelings dealing with Kobe's birth mom. Does she know how much he is loved? Does she know how happy we all are to have him in our lives? While we are so happy and so filled with joy, my heart breaks to think of what she is missing out on. My prayer has always been that God gives his birth mother PEACE.

There have been lots of changes in our lives in the past month. First of all, our dear friends/neighbors/Kobe's Godmother moved to a different state. It was very hard to see them leave. It was hard for me to know how to help Kobe deal with it because he didn't understand why he couldn't see them daily. Like with all changes, it takes time to adjust. We keep in touch via Skype. He still smiles so big when he sees their faces.

Days after this first big change in Kobe's life, another huge change came about when we welcome a foreign exchange student from Thailand into our house. Kobe seems to have adjusted well to that. He loves her just like his other sisters. My biggest concern is how he will be after she is here for 9 months and then just up and gone. Only time will tell. We felt called to the foreign exchange student opportunity also.

If those changes weren't big enough....school started meaning full time daycare. It didn't take long for Kobe to be adjusted to that new schedule. The first full week of school he was only at daycare half days due to the heat. Nothing like have your whole life really screwed up. We are finally back into a regular routine.

Kobe continues to bring us tremendous joy. He is quite the character. He is also showing his 2 year old temperament. I could really do without the temper tantrums, but I guess that comes with the territory. I'm impressed with his talking. I know other kids talk more than he does at his age. I also know how much the girls did/didn't talk before they were two. I think it is amazing to hear him talk, mimic, and try to say things. While it is a challenge at times, it is also so fun to see grow.

With being a teacher, I'm aware of the differences between boys and girls. Wow what a difference when it is in my house though! :) Kobe is such a boy! He can't use anything the way it is supposed to be used. He is really getting into the cars and trains. He loves watching the trains go through town. How lucky we are to live so close to the train tracks. He wants to catch the grasshoppers and just tonight his sister caught him a frog. He wants to play in the mud puddles. He can spot a cow from far away. It is so so different with a boy. I'm constantly in awe with the differences.

I think that brings you up to date on life here. We officially have a two year old in the house! My baby isn't much of a baby anymore. That certainly does make his mommy sad. Again I'm sorry I don't update this much. There just isn't much to tell. We are done with the ups and downs of the adoption journey and are full fledged into the ups and downs of parenting an adoptive child. Believe me, there are some differences in raising adopted vs biological. So much more "baggage" with an adopted child. Yet on the flip side, that same "baggage" is what makes our little boy who he is today. I have much appreciation in my heart as my baby turns two. Appreciation to his birth mom who gave us the best gift ever. Appreciation to God for all the blessings He has given us on this journey. Appreciation to all of our family/friends who have walked beside us on this amazing journey. (I'm posting a picture of the very first day we were able to hold our little boy)


No comments:

Post a Comment